Edward Marks Building Advisory Committee
- Barbara Weyand
- Michael Duffany
- Edward Haddad
- Thomas Renshaw
- Jean-Pierre Riu
- Christian Valle
Edward Marks Building Advisory Committee Charge
The Edward Marks Advisory Committee shall be appointed by the Select Board in accordance with relevant provisions of the Falmouth Home Rule Charter and Town bylaws. The Committee shall consist of seven (7) members, including one member of the Historical Commission, who shall serve until the Committee is dissolved. In the event that a member resigns prior to the dissolution of the Committee, the Board may elect to appoint a new member.
The mission of the Committee is to recommend a preservation plan for the Edward Marks Building, historically known as the Poor House, to restore and preserve the building as an historic resource. In drafting the preservation plan, the Committee will consider:
- Historic preservation of the building exteriors;
- An interior renovation plan that satisfies office needs based on usage/occupancy requirements provided by the Town Manager, complies with the Mass Historic Preservation Restriction, and preserves important historical architectural details.
- Cost of proposed restoration and preservation work;
- The visibility and accessibility of proposed improvements to community members and visitors;
- Use of the first floor as offices for the Falmouth Human Services Department;
- Potential uses of the second floor and attic spaces;
- Community input;
- Potential funding sources in addition to Community Preservation and Falmouth general funds; and,
- Other criteria that the Committee may recommend.
The Assistant Town Planner shall serve as the staff liaison to this Committee to provide technical expertise on historic preservation. .The Committee members shall be responsible for posting meeting notices through the Town Clerk’s Office and taking minutes in compliance with the open meeting law.
The Board respectfully asks the Committee to submit an initial report by December 31, 2019. The Edward Marks Advisory Committee is intended to be a temporary, single-purpose committee to be dissolved on December 31, 2020 or sooner if the Select Board determines the purposes of the Committee have been achieved. The Select Board may vote to extend the term of the Committee to a date certain if additional time is required to achieve the purposes of the Committee.
May 10, 2019
On July 27, 2020, the Select Board voted to extend the term of the Committee to May 31, 2021.
On May 10, 2021 the Select Board voted to extend the term of the Committee to December 31, 2021.
On January 31, 2022 the Select Board voted to extend the term of the Committee to December 31, 2024.