Permits are required, per 527 CMR 1, Chapter 19, of the Massachusetts Fire Prevention Regulations, in order to have a dumpster larger than 6 cubic yards in the Town of Falmouth. The permit is required to be obtained by the property or building owner, lessee, or refuse generator. Permits are not required for dumpsters that are delivered to a location and removed in the course of a single business day.
An inspector from the Fire Prevention Department will come and inspect for the following:
- The Dumpster is at least 10 feet away from the building.
- The Dumpster is not an obstacle to egress.
- The Dumpster would not obstruct Fire Rescue Department operations during a fire or other emergency.
The cost of the permit is $25.00 and it is available in person, online, or by mail:
- In person at the Fire Prevention Office, Monday through Friday 8:00 am until 12:00 noon.
- Online at Dumpster Permits
- By mail, send your name, mailing address, phone number, and the address of where the dumpster will be located (if different from mailing address). Please include a check for $25.00 payable to Town of Falmouth and a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Mail the request to:
Fire Prevention/Dumpster Permit
Falmouth Fire Department
399 Main Street
Falmouth, MA 02540
We will mail the permit back to you the same day we receive the request.