Unlike years past, this year several sweeping closures extensions have been brought forth by an agreement of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries (MA DMF). These new changes are not local Town closures, they are MA DMF closures with which Falmouth recreational and commercial shellfish permit holders must comply.
In addition, issues of seed availability and the lack of volunteer and staff labor due to the COVID-19 pandemic directly resulted in no municipal shellfish propagation during the 2020-2021 shellfish growing season. The Fall 2021 shellfish season will have a very limited oyster harvest. Looking forward to the Fall 2022 shellfish season, it is anticipated that there will be a significant number of oysters available for recreational harvest as in past years.
Please note: The dates in this document do not apply to the taking of bay scallops, scallop regulations remain the same as past years, opening on October 1, 2021.
The following are anticipated opening dates.
Hamblin’s Pond (SC-16): Opens November 15, 2021
Waquoit Bay (SC-15):
- OPENING AREAS IN WAQUOIT BAY: The north end mooring field, north of a line drawn from 20 Nichols Road to 234 Metoxit Point Road, opens November 15, 2021
- CLOSING AREAS IN WAQUOIT BAY: The southern section, south of a line drawn from 20 Nichols Road to 234 Metoxit Point Road, is open through November 15, 2021
Eel River (SC-14):
- OPENING AREAS IN EEL RIVER EAST: All areas on the west side of the river, along Seacoast Shores Blvd and Edgewater Dr East, opens November 15, 2021.
Bournes Pond (SC-13): Open except where noted below:
- OPENING AREA IN BOURNES POND: The northern-most end of Bournes Pond, north of a line drawn from #64 Crowell Rd to the end of Mary Manuel Way, opens November 15, 2021
- CLOSING AREA IN BOURNES POND: The Family Area at the Southern End of Bournes Pond is open through November 7, 2021
Green Pond (SC-12): Opens November 15, 2021
Great Pond (SC-11): Opens November 15, 2021
- FAMILY/RECREATIONAL AREA: Opens Saturday, November 20, 2021
Little Harbor Woods Hole (SC-4): Opens on November 15, 2021
Great Harbor Woods Hole (SC-2): Open outside of a line drawn from the Woods Hole Yacht Club to the NOAA pier to a pier on a point of land off Parker Flat.
Quissett Harbor (BB-58): Inner and outer harbors open November 15, 2021
West Falmouth Harbor (BB-54): Earliest possible opening date of November 1, 2021 per MA DMF (subject to change) except where noted below:
- FAMILY/RECREATIONAL AREA: Earliest possible opening date of Saturday, November 6, 2021
Megansett Harbor (BB-50): Inner Harbor opens on November 15, 2021 including Rand’s Canal and Fiddler’s Cove.
- FAMILY/RECREATIONAL AREA: Open
A color-coded visual document of these openings is available here.
To receive Falmouth News Alerts, including Shellfish News Alerts, please sign-up here.