Housing and Rentals

For Rent Sign

The Health Department is responsible for enforcing the MA Housing Regulations, officially known as State Sanitary Code Chapter II, 105 CMR 410.000.  No person shall occupy as owner-occupant or let to another for occupancy any dwelling, dwelling unit, mobile dwelling unit, or rooming unit for the purpose of living, sleeping, cooking or eating therein, which does not comply with the requirements of 105 CMR 410.000.  Tenants may request a housing inspection by calling the Health Department at (508) 495-7485.  

Rental permits must be renewed annually, and are required for both long-term and short-term rental units. Applications may be printed and submitted along with the fee of $25.00 in person at the Health Department, mailed to our office at 59 Town Hall Square, Falmouth MA 02540, or they may also be completed online.  If your short-term rental property has a pool that guests are allowed access to, you will also need to obtain a semi-public pool rental permit; this application is available in our office or the Swimming Pools & Beaches section of our website.

Regulations and Additional Information

  • Click here to apply online for a Rental Permit
  • Click here to search for a Licensed Lead Inspector
  • Click here to locate a Licensed Asbestos Contractor or Lab
  • Click here to visit the Lead Safe Homes website to search for a property's lead inspection history.
  • Click here to learn more about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant or landlord in MA.